The Town of Needham acquired rights to the land that the Needham Golf Club now occupies in 1898. At that time the land was part of the watershed area to the Town's water supply. The then town "Water Board" had oversight responsibility for the land. The Water Board authorized the construction of the golf course and gave the Needham Golf Course the charge of protecting and maintaining the land and the water supply. Wayne Stiles, a disciple of Donald Ross, was secured to be the golf course architect. The Needham Golf Course was first opened for play in 1901.
The Needham Golf Club was incorporated in 1923 as a non-profit organization. It was once again given the charge by the Town to protect and maintain the water supply for future use. Since that time, the land has been upgraded and maintained by the Club at no cost to the Town.